Get Adobe Flash player

Building Inspection

Harold Ivery is the Township’s Building Inspector/Zoning Officer/Code Enforcement Officer. Harold has been with the Township since 2007. He is a PA Certified Building Code Official, property maintenance and housing inspector and residential and commercial building inspector. He has worked in local government for 2 years. He can be reached at the municipal office and by email at

 Currently, Chartiers Township administers and enforces the 2009 International Codes in accordance with the PA Uniform Construction Code which went into effect in June, 2004.The UCC sets minimum standards for design and construction; the 2009 International Residential Code is the new standard for residential construction while the 2009 International Building Code is the new standard for non-residential construction.

A building permit is a license to begin construction of a building project or to install equipment regulated by the code. Permits and inspections are necessary to verify that Township building and fire code standards are met. If not, the public’s health, safety and welfare could be at risk.

A building permit and building inspection may be required if you intend to build, construct, enlarge, remove, replace, alter, move, demolish a building, change the occupancy of a building or erect, install, enlarge, alter, change, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system regulated by the Uniform Construction Code. Chartiers Township Building Code Official will determine if a permit & inspection are required.

Most people realize that new buildings, additions, remodeling, decks, outbuildings such as sheds and garages, and swimming pools, and demolition of existing structures usually require building permits and inspections. Less obvious projects that require permits include, spas or hot tubs, water heaters, wood or gas stoves, masonry or factory built chimneys, and work involving electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning systems.

(Always check with the Zoning Department before starting any project, which does not require a building permit because a zoning permit may be required)

Sprinklers are required in new construction of one and two family homes beginning January 1, 2011